Subaru Of America - 2007 Subaru Outback - Quality Disaster

I purchased my Subaru based on Subaru's reputation of reliability.A few months before I bought my 2007 Outback Legacy, I bought a 1998 Outback for my son.

I liked his Outback so much, I sold my Mustang and found one for myself. I had never had any problems with my Mustang at all,but I figured Outback would exceed my expectations in regards to quality. What I got was one headache after another. With in the first 1000 miles of owning my Outback, my check engine light came on.

This was the beginning of a long and financially painful headache! The first issue was the cam shaft position sensor. This was changed out. About a 100 miles later another light and the down stream exhaust sensor was changed.

Another 100 miles and then the whole cat was changed out.

The next issue, I was expecting, since my Outback had 120K miles on it, I knew that I would have to have the timing belt replaced, but I also had a rear main gasket leaking, so I had that done at the same time. The total cost on this one shop visit.... $3,152.99! That's more than what I was expecting, but I thought my pain was over.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. I had to have my air fuel sensor replaced, I had a full collapse of my front struts and had to have them replaced. And then a complete engine replacement as my number 3 rod bearing spun. Most recently was my transmission lines which left me stranded on the side of the road.

My son's car has been a little better, but not much, we had to do a lot of the same work with his Outback. I would expect to do a bit more on a 98 than a 07, but that has not been the case. My Mustang was a 99 and had more miles than my Subaru. I never had to do any of this kind of work with my Ford.

Since I mostly have a new car, I am hoping that my pain is over, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I have lost all confidence in Subaru's quality claims of excellence. I have over $8000 in repair costs on a car that I paid $8000 for.

Since a base model 2016 Ford Mustang is about the same cost as a 2016 Subaru Outback, customers who are after quality might want to think twice about Subaru's quality claims.I do love my Outback, but I did not get what I was expecting and my primary reason for buying Subaru has been debunked in my mind.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Interest Rate
Insurance Quality

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
2007 Subaru Legacy Outback
Review category
review #907880 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Subaru Of America? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.