38.5K views

Who thought this one up? The factory installed remote starter for my 2014 Forester shuts the engine off when you open the door which means that every time you use the remote starter you'll be starting the car twice.

You also cannot program out the horn that beeps twice every time you use the remote starter. Let me tell you - my neighbors and their dogs really appreciate this at 5:30 AM, the time I leave for work!!!! I have had a number of remote starters in previous vehicles that have had the horn beep substituted with parking lights and an engine-kill when you step on the brake so I thought this one could be programed as well. Guess not.

Subaru customer service registered my complaint but will do nothing.

So I'll be out another $300-$400 as I rip out the factory installed system and replace it with an "after market" version that will do what I want. I'm NOT happy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Subaru Of America Car.

Comments

Mine was $450 and it stinks. When I complained, they said they would take it out for a fee.

Jack Nolan
#1719346
Auto Expert

According to Subaru of America FAQ page, for all the inquiries and complaints you should contact Subaru of America customer service by phone at 1-800-782-2783.

Seemingly out of the blue, my car shuts off after about two minutes with the remote starter. Anyone else have this issue?

I got it burnt too with for a 2017 impreza remote start, I'm getting it removed, and refund, documentation shows that is possible, but the dealers and subaru don't give a ......, shutting down when opening any door.

Hello. We also have a Subaru remote starter and simply love it.

1) it works over 100 yards away. 2) it turns off when the door is to opened to prevent a thief from getting in and driving away your car (it also turns off in ~15-20 minutes - to ensure you haven't forgotten and prevents the engine from idling too long).

I have the 'dealer installed' version of Subaru remote start. I am told there is no difference between factory / pre-dealer or dealer installed I am not discounting your complaints, only providing our perspective on a terrific car with outstanding safety and convenience options available at a price far below what you would pay for a comperably configured vehicle (if you could find one that includes; EyeSight, Rear Automatic Braking, front and rear crosstraffic alert & emergency stop, adaptive cruise, and total collision avoidance) - and of course remote start.

@Retired in Palm Springs

Why does it need to shut off to prevent theft? They could program it so that the car cannot be put in gear without the key rather than shut off when the door opens.

#1620451
@Retired in Palm Springs

Try living in Vermont when it won't work below 25 degrees! Isn't that when you would want it to work!?

@Retired in Palm Springs

Sorry but I have had a bunch of remote starters and none of them ever shut off when you open the door. And you saying it to stop some one from stealing it is to funny, all other remotes shut off when you touch the brakes with out engaging the key.

And you have to push the brakes to shift into gear.

But nice try. Glad you like yours but 95% of the rest hate it.

Yes - absolutely worthless as designed. I tell everyone it is the worst feature of the car.

People can't believe it works this way (or I should say DOESN'T work) ! Also, it can't be activated unless you are within 60 yds looking at the car.

Not being able to start the car from within a building or store is what people need. I hate it ...

Same issue! who designs this system??

Not to mention lets say u started stoped your vehicle to many times and your starting system is on the fritz* and ur in the middle of alaska and now your trapped cause the remote start “saftey” feature caused premature wear to your starting components of your engine. Not to mention other things that can happen to your engine starting and stoping it all the time.

Agreed, I have the same problem, not to mention that suburu will not admit it causes damages to my engine stoping and restarting it.

Ridiculous! And the purport to "love dogs." Well, mine will either freeze to death or die from heat because this ridiculous "feature" sucks.

And I've owned a Subaru since '99.

Some retard put this in place. And for what?

@Mike

No damage is being caused....

@Scooby

and you would know??

agree 100%

Im not sure why Subaru wont make it as an switchable option somewhere in the radio controls. They can default them as on from the factory to Cover their ***

My 02 impala had more features i could turn off or on if i wanted and i liked that.

Its my car and i should be able to make changes as i want to suit my needs.

i noticed that the new? Subis have alot of things that are not switchable by the user, but you need to go back to the dealer to activate, deactivate or change.

@new subi owner

Factory defaulting something to "on" is not nearly enough to keep the lawyers away. Use your head. Even the most retarded lawyer is going to take about 15 seconds to realize that a winning strategy will be to argue that a previous (unknown) driver turned off some annoying reminder that might have stopped his client from doing something clueless.

i have a 2016 remote start.

it is just back !

works sometimes not other times unless i am a few feet away.

(so out in the cold !!)

@Richard

Woolwich...same problems. Great car, rotten remote starter...

Subaru Of America Reviews