38.3K views

Who thought this one up? The factory installed remote starter for my 2014 Forester shuts the engine off when you open the door which means that every time you use the remote starter you'll be starting the car twice.

You also cannot program out the horn that beeps twice every time you use the remote starter. Let me tell you - my neighbors and their dogs really appreciate this at 5:30 AM, the time I leave for work!!!! I have had a number of remote starters in previous vehicles that have had the horn beep substituted with parking lights and an engine-kill when you step on the brake so I thought this one could be programed as well. Guess not.

Subaru customer service registered my complaint but will do nothing.

So I'll be out another $300-$400 as I rip out the factory installed system and replace it with an "after market" version that will do what I want. I'm NOT happy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Subaru Of America Car.

Comments

Actually, you CAN disable the horn honk when you lock/unlock and start the car. I did this to my wife's Forester. Now, she only has parking light flashes with no horn honk.

@Ri***ich

How did you disable the horn?

#791936

This is o someone doesn't come by, while you are drinking your coffee, hop in and drive off!

This is to protect you and your investment!

@Ben

the brake pedal shut off does the same thing which is also built in.

@Ben

Subaru remote beats a blank but it is a *** design. Other companies systems keeps car running but if you step on the brakes and don't put in key it shuts off.

This is smarter no need to restart the car. Subaru needs to show the have better design.

@Ben

others stop crooks just as good if not better. the minute you touch the brake pedal or try to put in gear or hit gas pedal without the key in the ignition it shuts down the car.

@Ben

Ben: You cannot be more out of touch. I have had remote starters in 4 different cars since 1985.

They all were programmed to prevent the horn from waking up my neighbors and you could open any door without the car shutting off. It's very simple. Once the door is open the car continues to running. If the ignition is not turned on with the key before the brake is pressed the car shuts off.

The brake has to be engaged to put the car in gear.

I live in the suburbs and work in Center City. If at any time theft was a concern it wasn't because of the remote starter.

Ken

I have this same complaint. Had I known about this beforehand I would have definitely reconsidered and likely gone with aftermarket. Really passed and disappointed about this bug in the system.

that is so *** that the engine turns off. i am going after market RS with my crosstrek...

@beliefpatrol

beliefpatrol, I saw you posted on an Outback forum about how you got around this issue. Can you please add more specific details of what you did to that forum thread?

Thanks!

Yes, I feel your pain. I paid an extra $500 to have this Subaru dealer installed remote starter leave me totally disatisfied.

My stomach wrenches everytime i unlock my driver door....car shuts off...and i have to restart it with ignition. complete waste of my $.

@Lil Ms. Subaru

I had it installed this morning ($560 in the loan when buying the vehicle) I have already called Subaru of America and they are going to be getting back to me within the next couple days. They better, at minimum, give me my money back. I would recommend everyone on this site giving them a call to tell them that we want a real remote start system, as I am sure they can reprogram them to work as they should but refuse to help us with.

@keith

have you heard back?

@Lil Ms. Subaru

Sounds like you have a tough life. Have you tried to seek therapy to help cope with your remote starter on your car not doing exactly as you hoped? I'm sure some children in Africa can sympathize with your pressing problem.

word that sucks man I feel you. I have a brand new Forester.

My navigation unit says I have 250 miles total, but according to my odometer I have driven only about 100 miles.

I ask someone at the dealer but they had no idea, so I called Subaru customer service, also no idea about this.

@Yezwi Kanibus

Are you sure it isn't 250 miles until you're out of fuel? With 100 miles on the odo and your display showing 250 - 350 miles is roughly what a new Foresters computer would read.

@Yezwi Kanibus

Navigation was active during transport.