I purchased my vehicle 2013 Subaru Forester VIN JF2SHAEC2DH440627 in August 2015 and was not notified by Carmax that there was an issue with the vehicle, this being said We had noticed that we had to put oil in every other day and still do. Also, my catalytic converter malfunctioned in Feb 2018 (not sure if the burning oil lead to the malfunction of the catalytic converter) I took it to a local shop where I was directed to order a catalytic converter and the local shop would install it.

It malfunctioned 3 months later (May 2018) and I was stuck on the side of the road. I then had it towed to the Winchester Subaru in Virginia, they told me to return the catalytic converter to the part store where I purchased it from (Augusta Auto parts and service in W. Virginia) and to order a new one, then Subaru would install it for me. I drove it for 3 months and then noticed it wanting to stall out so I took it back to Winchester Subaru in Virginia (end of Aug 2018) where they told me again to return the catalytic converter and order a new one, I had other routine maintenance and service done as well as the Catalytic converter re-ordered and installed (for the 3 time of this vehicle) This time I had driven it for one month before it started to stall out again (end of Sept 2018).

It is currently at the Winchester dealer ship (Oct 1 2018) where they are now telling me I need to buy the original stock "before market" catalytic converter. I have invested more than 6K in repairs and am looking at another $3300. Is there any way to get this issue resolved with the burning oil and catalytic converter problems? any warranties still available or recalls?

Also my other question is why didn't the dealership just put in the original "Stock before market" catalytic converter in , instead of me having to go through all this money and the trouble of returning the catalytic converter twice.

I live paycheck to paycheck and can not afford to spend any more money and need Subaru to help me repair my Forester to a reliable vehicle that you all stand by. Looking to hear from someone asap, Sue Hokland 5712594604 (Cell) 3044924168 (home) 7034066911 (office)

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Repairs and suggested resolution.

Comments

Starting about 2013 Subarus have had oil consumption problems due to use of low friction piston rings and low weight oil. This causes oil to blow past the rings (raising oil consumption) and dumping oil into the catalytic converter (shortening its life span). Subaru settled class action over oil consumption in 2016 and 2013 was one of the years that Subaru agree to fix the engines