May 24th, 2017 Dear Subaru management, Today, I called Subaru of American National Contact Center at 1-800-782-2783 and received the shock of my life: Subaru Corporation does not feel any sense of customer loyalty to their life long Subaru owners. There is zero customer appreciation.

At 10:39 am EST I called the National Subaru Center because I was upset that my new 2017 Subaru Outback Touring did not have crossbars on the roof and I could not install my racks for skis and a kayak. I spoke to Kaitlyn (Caitlyn) who explained that the new Touring Model did not come with the rails and I could purchase the cross bars in a Subaru parts department. I explained to Kaitlyn that this was the reason for my call and I was upset because I believed I purchased the BEST (most equipped) Subaru Outback on the market and it never occurred to me that the racking system had changed. Kaitlyn listened as I voiced my frustration.

Currently, I have 3 Subarus in my driveway – a 2015 Outback Limited, a 2012 Impreza Coupe/Sport and the 2017 Outback Touring (all registered in our names). Proudly I told Kaitlyn this was our tenth Subaru starting in 1986 with a Three Door Sedan 4WD Coup (college). Kaitlyn spoke to her Supervisor, Kyle, about my disappointment. Kaitlyn and I went back and forth as I grieved the roof rack /rails would cost me about $1,000: Crossbars Touring $459.85, plus tax, installation and the Kayak part at $219.85 – and I had all of the rack pieces from my 2015 Subaru Outback (which I gave to my son).

I asked Kaitlyn to have Subaru send me the Cross Bars so I could use the new Touring Subaru for all of the reasons I chose a Subaru. WORSE YET, I EXPLAINED THAT I WAS WAITING TO BUY THE NEWLY DESIGNED 2018 CROSSTREK FOR MY OLDEST SON…which would add to four Subarus in our driveway. Kaitlyn put me on hold (15 minutes) and spoke with her Supervisor, Kyle, and begrudgingly offered me $250 the for the rails. Again, I explained that this would not cover the racking system – I suggested that Kaitlyn give me the $250 coupon for the rails PLUS give me a $500 coupon to use toward the purchase of the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek.

I figured this was a fair deal because if I did not buy the Crosstrek I would get no additional award. Kaitlyn put me on hold again (10 mins?) to check with Supervisor, Kyle. They turned down my offer and stated that the $250 was the best they could do despite my loyalty. I am astonished and outraged by an incident.

I’m also upset that I voted for the Subaru Outback to be added to the Johnson and Johnson and Genentech fleet programs (I worked for both companies). I used the National Ski Patrol program to purchase a vehicle and intend to write to voice my disappointment in the Subaru customer recognition. Today I turned down the $250 offer from Kaitlyn and Kyle. I told them I would get busy blogging and complaining.

I sked the to thank the Subaru marketing team for including the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek vs. Rivals page in the new brochure. I intend to find out what the competitors’ offer and see if the have appreciation programs for loyal customers.

You guys should be appreciate your lifelong customers. Shameful.

Review about: Subaru Of America Customer Care.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I didn't like: Rack on 2017 touring outback.

Comments

The Touring Model comes with the new low profile side rails. The cross bars were a part of the "popular package #5A", which also included splash guards, all weather floor mats, rear seat protector, and dim mirror w/blind spot and lt.

This package cost $1062 MSRP. Look on your window sticker to see if it lists this package. If it does you have a pretty good case that the dealer just forgot to put the cross bars on as our dealer added them at the lot before delivery. If the package isn't listed on the window sticker, I think Subaru did you square with a $250 credit.

That's a better deal than we got. Our dealer listed the ski attachment and kayak carrier on a separate accessories sheet with the installed prices as these were never a part of any package or the original deal.

The visual difference in the new touring model low profile side rails and the regular side rails on the premium and limited models is striking, so one could assume that the mounting system would probably be different. Besides, in 5 years you aren't going to remember what this stuff cost anyway.

How could you miss something as obvious as missing cross bars when you bought the car?

to Anonymous Brandon, Vermont, United States #1333549

I special ordered it. The only time I was it was when I picked it up.

I never saw a touring model. I went over the added features - the heated steering wheel...the reverse auto brake...I feel it was slimy thing to do! Yes, I should have "asked" but that was the reason I was buying a Subaru!

I have 9 before this. I never asked if they had roof mounts for my racks...Never...

to Anonymous Brandon, Vermont, United States #1333551

BTW - the rack on my 2015 Outback has rails that come out of the sides. It's not something I see with my eye.

The 2017 Outback Limited has the same roof rack as the 2015 Outback Limited. the ONLY Outback that changed was the Touring model.

Sorry you're unhappy.

But you blew it when you stated "it never occurred to me".

You should have checked before engaging in an expensive purchase.

to Smitty Brewster, New York, United States #1333078

I know you're right, but typically when you guy a car because it has features you don;t expect them to be taken away...