3.9

Has anyone had this problem? Our 2014 Outback occasionally stalls when driven at slow speed (pulling out of a parking lot, etc.).

This has happened several times in the last couple of years and it's created a potentially serious problem each time. In all cases, the RPM drops, I put the shifter in neutral, fiddle with the accelerator pedal, etc. but can't get RPMs. Can't restart (without shutting off ignition) because the engine is running, just not producing enough RPM.

Luckily, I've been able to coast to the edge of the roadway and get it restarted, but the stall put me in serious jeopardy with oncoming traffic. Had the computer checked the first time it happened and everything checked out OK. Service manager in Florida thought it might be a fuel problem with water in the gas, but it's happened with more than one fuel brand.

The engine is a 4-cyl., PZEV. The local service people say they never heard of the problem happening and have no suggestions.

Product or Service Mentioned: 2014 Subaru Of America Outback Car.

Reason of review: Safety concern due to stalling.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Service department.

I didn't like: Sales department.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jun 02, 2017.

Comments

I have a 2014 Outback as well and have had similar problems. Mine just stutters really bad.

I took it into the Subaru Dealership in Miami and the only advise they gave me is to put the top grade gasoline into it.

That is the only "professional" advise they gave me, and told me to just drive it, and if it gets worse bring it back in. Not sure if I am really sold on them having the knowledge to figure it out.

to Anonymous #1368273

Sounds similar to the CVT (transmission) problems Subaru is currently offering extended warranty for. Please file a complaint with NHTSA ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ ) The NHTSA also had a phone number if you need help with your complaint 1-888-327-4236.

Transmission isssues like yours and mine are rampant and Subaru will not fix voluntarily. Many owners have been given the run around and have paid thousands of dollars with no fix.

Help yourself and us all by putting your complaints where we can get a recall done. Thank you.