Santa Fe, New Mexico

SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 AT 6:11 PM

Subaru makes great cars but their car repair and service depts don't seem to understand customer service. I took my 2007 Outback in for an airbag recall.

This was after several letters/emails from Subaru telling me about the recall but also telling me each time that the replacement airbags were not yet available. Finally I called my local (Santa Fe, New Mexico) Subaru dealer and they said come on in. I had my airbags replaced but on driving my car home I noticed that several dashboard warning lights (battery, parking brake, etc.) that I had never seen before started coming on. I called the Subaru service location back and left a message, of course I couldn't actually get to speak to anyone.

My message described the problem and requested someone to call me back as to when I could bring my car back in to fix the issue. After several days of leaving such messages and getting no calls back, my car died. I got AAA to pick it up and take it back to the Subaru service place that did the damage. The service person there said that it sounded like I needed a new alternator.

What a coincidence! My car was running fine when I took it in for the airbag recall but all of a sudden, the alternator was defective? But, what could I do? So I left my car with Subaru service department to analyze the problem.

The next morning I received a phone message from Subaru asking me to call them back. After trying all day to speak with someone at Subaru and leaving 3 or 4 telephone messages, by late afternoon I finally spoke with a human being. He (Sam) told me that the problem was in fact a faulty alternator (Surprise!) but he couldn't now order it until the next day and it would take a couple of days to arrive and install. After experiencing their unbelievably bad response on the telephone, I am even more suspicious about the "alternator" diagnosis.

It really feels like like they did the (free) airbag recall repair and then figured out how to add some income by messing with the alternator. I feel like I'm being jerked around and screwed at the same time.

Product or Service Mentioned: Subaru Of America Car Repair.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments